As an artist, you have a lot of options when it comes to music distribution. But which one is the best for you? Let's take an in-depth look at DistroKid - a popular music distribution service that's become a favourite among many independent artists.
Jeff Price, the founder of TuneCore and former CEO of SoundExchange, had this to say about DistroKid:
"DistroKid is the simplest and most efficient way to get music into iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, Google Play and other major digital stores. I use it for all my new releases."
We'll discuss its main features, benefits, and drawbacks, so that you can decide for yourself whether or not it's the right platform for you.
Our Honest Distrokid review
Things we liked:
- You can upload unlimited songs and get publishing services for just $19.99 a year. That's pretty unbeatable value for unlimited distribution, especially when you compare it to the likes of TuneCore, which charges $9.99 per track.
- Distrokid makes fast look slow. We've had tracks go live on Spotify within 24 hours of hitting the 'upload' button.
- The interface is very user-friendly, and it's easy to see exactly where your tracks are being distributed and what stats they're accruing.
- You can set up pre-orders for upcoming releases, which is a great way to build hype and get people talking about your music before it comes out.
Things we didn't like:
- One downside of the one time fee is that it doesn't get any of the hand-holding or extras that you might get from a more expensive service. There's no phone support, for example, so if you run into any problems, you're on your own.
- Many people have reported problems with getting their tracks into Spotify, despite DistroKid's claims that they are 'Spotify ready'. We've had mixed results ourselves, with some tracks going live quickly and others taking weeks.
- Some artists have also complained about having their accounts suspended for seemingly no reason, although we haven't had any problems ourselves.
Overall, we think that DistroKid is a great option among digital music distributors for independent artists who are looking for an affordable and fast way to get their music into the major digital stores. However, it's worth bearing in mind the potential issues with Spotify before you sign up.
How does Distrokid work?
Distrokid works by taking your music and sending it to the major online stores like iTunes, Spotify, Amazon Music and Google Play.
You can also choose to have your tracks distributed to smaller, niche stores if you wish. Distrokid is a great platform because it is simple to use and has some great distinguising features.
Firstly, it is very fast - your tracks will be live on Spotify within 24 hours of hitting the 'upload' button.
Secondly, the interface is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. You can see exactly where your tracks are being distributed and what stats they're accruing, on your artist page.
Finally, the price is very reasonable - you can pay monthly or yearly, and there's no minimum contract, so you can cancel at any time.
How to get started with Distrokid?
Getting started with Distrokid is very simple.
- Just head to the website and sign up for an account. You can pay monthly or yearly, and there's no minimum contract, so you can cancel at any time.
- Once you've set up your account, you can start uploading your tracks. Remember to add all the relevant information like the title, artist name, release date and genre. You can also add cover art and set up pre-orders for upcoming releases.
- Once you've hit the 'upload' button, your tracks will be sent to the stores you've chosen and should go live within a few days.
- You'll be able to see how your tracks are performing in the Distrokid backend, and you'll also get regular e-mail updates with your latest stats.
And that's it! You're now ready to start sharing your music with the world.
- Revenue splits are automatic: You get to keep 100% of the revenue generated from your sales, with no hidden fees or commissions. Then, you can split the revenue streams as you like, and Distrokid will automate it for you.
- HyperFollow: One of the great things about DistroKid is that it includes a landing page in HyperFollow. This allows you to connect with your fans and promote your music on a more personal level through your artist page. You can include information about yourself, your music and your upcoming shows on the landing page. You can also include links to your social media accounts and website.
- Affordable: Distrokid is one of the most affordable distribution platforms out there. You can sign up for a monthly or yearly subscription with no minimum contract.
- Payouts are fast and reliable: You can choose to be paid monthly or yearly, and you'll receive your royalties within 7 days of each month (or within 30 days if you're being paid yearly).
- Support with lyrics: You can submit your lyrics to Distrokid, and they will add them to your tracks on all major platforms, making it easier for fans to sing along.
- Release dates are globally timed: When you set a release date for your tracks, Distrokid will make sure they go live at midnight in each time zone. That way, your fans can start streaming and buying your music as soon as it's released.
- Goodies icon: The Goodies icon is a small image that you can add to your tracks on Distrokid. It's a fun way to make your music stand out, and you can choose from a range of different icons to suit your style.
- Extra fee for YouTube monetization: If you want to earn YouTube money with your tracks, you'll need to pay an extra $2.50 per year. That does not include the commission.
- Everyone you split your revenue with has to pay the annual fee.
- You will get no money from publishing royalties on Distrokid.
- You have to wait for your first payout: Unlike some other distribution platforms, you won't receive your first payout until 30 days after your first track is released. After that, you'll be paid monthly (or yearly, depending on your preference).
- $8 yearly fee for "store maximization": If you want to make sure your tracks are available in as many stores as possible, you'll need to pay an extra $8 per year.
- You have to submit your lyrics manually: Unlike some other platforms, you can't automatically generate lyrics for your tracks on Distrokid. You'll need to submit them yourself or find someone to do it for you.
- The annual fee does not include cover songs: If you want to release a cover song on Distrokid, you'll need to pay an extra $10 per year.
- You can't sell physical products: Unlike some other platforms, Distrokid does not allow you to sell physical products like CDs or vinyl. You can only sell digital downloads.
- Only supports .WAV files: If you have your tracks in another file format, you'll need to convert them to .WAV before uploading them to Distrokid. This is a minor inconvenience, but it's worth noting.
- Analytics and reports for tracking audience engagement are quite basic unless you upgrade to premium plans.
How much does Distrokid cost?
Distrokid costs $19.99 per year, and there are no hidden fees or extra charges. You can upload an unlimited number of tracks, and you'll get to keep all of the revenue that your music generates.
There is a 7-day free trial available if you want to try it before you buy. And if you sign up using our link, you'll get 20% off your first year!
Cover song licensing by Distrokid
If you're interested in cover song licensing, Distrokid offers a feature that allows you to license your music for use in TV, film, and video games.
The cover song licensing service costs $19.99 per year. If you're interested in cover song licensing, you can sign up for the service on Distrokid's website.
If you want to cover a song on Distrokid, you will need to sign up for their sync licensing service.
Sync licensing services by Distrokid
Distrokid also offers a sync licensing service, which allows you to license your music for use in TV, film, and video games. The service costs $29.99 per year and includes a number of features, including:
- The ability to license your music for use in TV, film, and video games.
- A percentage of the royalties earned from your licensed tracks.
- The ability to track where your music is being used.
- This can be a great way to make money from your music and get your songs heard by a wider audience.
Distrokid's main selling point
Distrokid's main selling point is its speed and simplicity. It's one of the quickest and easiest ways to get your music onto all of the major streaming platforms, and it's very reasonably priced.
In addition, Distrokid offers some great features like globally timed specific release dates, unlimited music uploads, lyrics support, and the ability to add a "Goodies" icon to your tracks.
Distrokid's customer service
14,000+ reviews show that Distrokid offers excellent customer service, with quick and easy response times.
They are always happy to help, and they go out of their way to make sure you're completely satisfied with your experience.
Credit distribution on Distrokid
If you're looking for a way to credit your collaborators on Distrokid, there is a feature that allows you to do this.
To credit your collaborators, simply create an account on Distrokid and then enter your music into their system. They will then distribute it to all of the major streaming platforms, including Spotify, Apple Music, and Google Play.
Once your music is distributed, you will be able to add credits for your collaborators by clicking on the "credits" tab. You can then enter the name of your collaborator and their role in the project.
Ad revenue from DistroKid
One thing to note about Distrokid is that they offer an ad-revenue sharing program that can help you make some extra money from your music distributed and music played if it starts getting traction online.
This is a great way to potentially make some extra money from as much music as you want to create without having to do any extra work!
YouTube Music and DistroKid
If you're also looking to get your music onto YouTube, DistroKid has you covered there too. They have an integrated YouTube uploader which makes it easy to get your music up on the world's largest video platform. This can help you reach a larger audience and grow your fan base!
Distrokid and Spotify library
Adding your music to official Spotify playlists can be a great way to get more exposure for your music. DistroKid offers a feature that allows you to add your music to official Spotify playlists.
To add your music to official Spotify playlists, simply create an account on DistroKid and then enter your music into their system. They will then distribute it to all of the major streaming platforms.
Dos and Don'ts of using Distrokid
There are a few Do's and Don't's to keep in mind while making the best out of Distrokid's facilities:
- Make sure you have all the rights to your music before uploading it.
- Take advantage of Distrokid's numerous features, like global timed release dates and lyrics support.
- Use Distrokid's 7-day free trial to see if it's the right platform for you.
- Upload music that isn't yours or that you don't have the rights to. This will get you into trouble and could result in your account being suspended.
- Forget to include important information like your artist name, song title, and release date when uploading your tracks.
- Forget that you can get 7% off your first year by signing up.
Distrokid is a great music distribution service for independent artists to release music or launch their music careers. It's simple to use, and it's one of the quickest and easiest ways to get your music onto all of the major streaming platforms.
In addition, Distrokid offers some great features like global timed release dates, lyrics support, and the ability to add a "Goodies" icon to your tracks.
If you're looking for a fast, simple, and affordable way to release your music, then Distrokid is definitely the platform for you. Sign up today, and you'll even get 7% off your first year!
Distrokid Legacy Feature
When you cancel your subscription with Distrokid, your music is no longer available for streaming or purchase.
However, if you add the Legacy Feature, your music will remain accessible to your fans.
With this feature, you can keep your music online even if you cancel your subscription, ensuring that your fans can continue to enjoy your work.
The "Leave a Legacy" extra is a great way to ensure that your music remains available on streaming services, even if you cancel your DistroKid membership.
This extra adds a release to your account that will not be removed if your payment is declined or you cancel your subscription.
Instead, the release will remain in streaming services indefinitely. Make sure to add this extra to your releases individually.
Remember: Adding this extra to a release does not replace your annual membership fee, but it is a great way to ensure that your music remains available even if you cancel your DistroKid account.
FAQs - Distrokid review
How many songs can I upload to Distrokid?
There is no limit to the number of tracks you can upload to Distrokid. You can upload an unlimited number of tracks, and there are no extra charges.
If you have more than one artist on your account, each artist can upload an unlimited number of tracks as well.
Do I need to pay the annual fee to keep my tracks live?
Yes, you will need to pay the annual fee to keep your tracks live in the stores. If you want to keep your music live on all major streaming platforms, you will need to pay the annual fee.
The annual fee is very reasonable, and it allows you to keep all of the revenue that your music generates.
What are the benefits of using Distrokid?
There are many benefits to using Distrokid, including:
- It's one of the quickest and easiest ways to get your music onto all of the major streaming platforms.
- It's very reasonably priced.
- It offers some great features like global timed release dates, lyrics support, and the ability to add a "Goodies" icon to your tracks.
- The customer service is excellent, with quick and easy response times.
- You can get 7% off your first year by signing up.
Do big artists use Distrokid?
Some of the biggest artists in the world use Distrokid to distribute their music, including Ed Sheeran, Post Malone, Travis Scott, and Khalid. More than 2 million artists access Distorkid's services.
Does Distrokid provide streaming services?
Yes, Distrokid provides streaming services on all major platforms, including Spotify, Apple Music, and Google Play.
Is Distrokid one among record labels?
No, Distrokid does not come among record labels. Distrokid is a music distribution service that helps musicians get their music onto major streaming platforms like Spotify and Apple Music. While Distrokid does offer some additional features, like the ability to add your music to your Spotify playlist, it is not a record label.
Who are Distrokid's music distribution partners?
Distrokid is partnered with a number of music distribution services, which means that your music will be distributed to a variety of online stores and streaming services.
Some of Distrokid's music distributors include Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, Amazon Music, Pandora, TIDAL, YouTube Music, and other distributors too.
This means that your music will be available on a wide variety of platforms, giving you the best chance to reach new listeners.
Distrokid vs cd baby?
CD Baby is a company that helps you release your music. They will put it on different websites for people to listen to. You can also use their service to sell your music on iTunes and other places.
They will also help you with things like getting your music onto Spotify, making sure that people can find your music when they search for it and helping you to promote your music.
Distrokid and CD Baby are two of the most popular music distribution services. They both offer similar features and pricing, but there are some key differences that you should be aware of before you decide which one to use.
CD Baby is a lot more expensive than Distrokid, with an annual fee of $49.95. However, they do offer some extras that Distrokid doesn't, like human support and the ability to release physical copies of your music.
It's also worth noting that CD Baby takes longer for uploading music than Distrokid. It can take up to 10 days for your music to go live on all major streaming platforms, whereas with Distrokid, it only takes a few hours.
So, which one should you choose? If you're looking for the quickest and the most convenient way to get your music out there, then Distrokid is the better option.
However, if you're willing to pay a bit more for extras like human support and physical releases, then CD Baby might be a better choice.
Distrokid vs. TuneCore and cd baby?
Tunecore is another popular music distribution service, and like CD Baby, it's more expensive than Distrokid. The annual fee is $49.99, and there's a one-time setup fee of $9.99.
Tunecore offers some great features, like human support and the ability to release physical copies of your music. However, they don't offer global timed release dates or the ability to add a "Goodies" icon to your tracks.
CD Baby is also more expensive than Distrokid, with an annual fee of $49.95. They offer extras like human support and the ability to release physical copies of your music.
However, their turnaround time is much longer than Distrokid, with it taking up to 10 days for your music to go live on all major streaming platforms.
So, which one should you choose? If you're looking for the quickest and easiest way to get your music out there, then Distrokid is the better option.
However, if you're willing to pay a bit more for extras like human support and physical releases, then Tunecore or CD Baby might be better music distribution companies for you.
Distrokid is light years ahead of TuneCore and cd baby and far more affordable.
Is Distrokid good for independent musicians?
Yes, Distrokid is a great choice for independent artist to launch their music career and create a space in the music industry. It is much cheaper than other distributors, offers a variety of additional features, and has a lightning-fast distribution speed.
Is Distrokid the best option for me?
If you're an independent artist who wants to release music into the major digital stores quickly and easily, then Distrokid is definitely worth considering. The low price and fast distribution make it a great option for anyone releasing music on a tight budget.
However, it's worth bearing in mind that Distrokid doesn't offer any of the extras that you might get from a more expensive service. There's no human support, for example, so if you run into any problems, you're on your own.
You should also be aware of the potential issues with Spotify before you sign up. Many people have reported problems with getting their tracks onto the platform, despite Distrokid's claims that they are 'Spotify ready.'
DistroKid is a great platform to distribute music for an affordable one-time fee. It's fast, reliable, and trustworthy. Additionally, it has low prices and additional features that make it stand out in the music industry.
Let go of the expenses involved in getting a recording artist and a recording studio, and make uploading music easy!
If you're looking for a good way to distribute your music, DistroKid should be at the top of your list. Be your own music producer today!